Dental anxiety is a common condition that affects many people. It is a feeling of fear or nervousness when faced with the prospect of visiting the dentist or undergoing dental treatment. Dental anxiety can range from mild to severe. It can be triggered by different factors, like the fear of pain, loss of control during the procedure, or past negative experiences.
Dental anxiety can lead to avoidance of necessary dental care, ultimately leading to more serious dental health problems. It is crucial to address dental anxiety to receive the care to maintain good oral health. Sedation dentistry is one option that can help.
What Is Sedation Dentistry?
It is a type of dental treatment. It involves medication to help patients feel more relaxed and comfortable during procedures. It often helps individuals who experience anxiety or fear when visiting the dentist.
Who Is a Good Candidate for Sedation Dentistry?
This is a good option for individuals who experience anxiety when visiting the dentist. It is also an option for patients with sensitive teeth or gums or more extensive procedures.
Discuss any underlying medical conditions or medications you are taking with the dentist. It is vital to do so before undergoing sedation dentistry. Do so to avoid contraindicating the use of sedation dentistry.
Types of Sedation Dentistry
· Oral sedation - Involves taking a pill, usually a benzodiazepine, before the appointment. The medication will help you feel relaxed and calm during the procedure.
· IV sedation - Involves administering the medication through a vein using a small needle. IV sedation allows the dentist to adjust the level of sedation more precisely and quickly.
· Nitrous oxide - Also known as laughing gas, nitrous oxide is inhaled through a small mask that your specialist places over your nose. It helps you feel relaxed and calm during the procedure.
Sedation dentistry works for various dental procedures, like cleanings, fillings, and extractions. It can also work for more extensive procedures such as root canals and crowns.
Benefits of Sedation Dentistry
There are several benefits to using sedation dentistry, including the following:
· It can help patients with dental anxiety feel more comfortable during procedures. Many people experience anxiety or fear when visiting the dentist. Sedation dentistry can help alleviate these feelings.
· It can allow patients to receive the necessary dental treatment they may have been avoiding due to anxiety or fear.
· It can help patients with sensitive teeth or gums feel more comfortable during procedures.
· It allows extensive procedures to be completed in fewer visits, saving time and inconvenience for the patient.
· It can help reduce pain and discomfort during procedures.
Is Sedation Dentistry Safe?
Sedation dentistry is generally safe when administered by a trained and certified professional. Dentists who offer sedation dentistry must undergo additional training and certification. It helps ensure they have the appropriate qualification to administer the medication.
Before the procedure, the dentist will review your medical history. They will assess any potential risks or contraindications. The medication used for sedation dentistry typically gets administered in a low dose. The dentist will monitor your vital signs continually during the procedure to ensure your safety.
After the procedure, you will need someone to drive you home as the effects of the medication can take some time to wear off. The dentist will give you post-procedure instructions and advise you on any necessary follow-up care.
For more about sedation dentistry, visit Implant Dentistry Periodontics & Facial Rejuvenation. Our offices are in Tampa and Wesley Chapel, Florida. Call 813.517.0100 or 813.973.7770 to book an appointment today.